Jane Austen Ball
Richard, for my birthday, surprised me with tickets to a Jane Austen Yule Ball. Even though it was a birthday present, the actual Ball wasn't until this weekend.
Lindsey, you might recognize this dress...
I won't mention how many years it's been since I wore it last,
or how long it took to get it zipped!



This was a dance called Ship's Cook.
If you are a diehard Austen-ian, you will have seen it in the latest rendition of BBC's Emma.
{It's when Mr. Knightley saves Harriet from Mr. Elton's rudeness!}
We jumped around in circles.
I got really carried away.
haha. Richard had to call me back to right place a couple of times.
i'm too excited!
So, if you think we are A-class nerds...
oh well...
I was really happy to see all my favorite Literature professors there.
I even danced in a foursome with one of them.
So I felt like I was in real elite company all night.
I seriously had a blast and told Richard that we should go every year!
BEST. NIGHT. of. my. LIFE!
I seriously felt like I was living a dream. I don't think any of you who would willingly sit through six hours of Pride and Prejudice would disagree with me.
We tried to be as authentic as possible, which means, NO MASCARA! Although, I fortunately couldn't find a corset anywhere. That was one authenticity I could live without! We had so much fun getting ready for it. We went to dance classes on campus to learn the dances from the Regency era, and coincidentally from all my favorite Jane Austen movies! The whole month was fun, but the Ball really topped it off. They had dancing all night, of course, and then they had tarts, pictures, whist card tables, and silhouette drawing. I mean they thought of everything.
The most interesting part was that Richard was chosen to be a contestant in a game where there were "bachlorettes" from the characters of Jane Austen and he had to ask them questions and guess who they were. He got 2 out of 3 right! He only missed the last one because he said Elizabeth Bennett instead of Jane. oh well, I was so proud of him for knowing two! =) What a stud. Just look at him!
I seriously felt like I was living a dream. I don't think any of you who would willingly sit through six hours of Pride and Prejudice would disagree with me.
We tried to be as authentic as possible, which means, NO MASCARA! Although, I fortunately couldn't find a corset anywhere. That was one authenticity I could live without! We had so much fun getting ready for it. We went to dance classes on campus to learn the dances from the Regency era, and coincidentally from all my favorite Jane Austen movies! The whole month was fun, but the Ball really topped it off. They had dancing all night, of course, and then they had tarts, pictures, whist card tables, and silhouette drawing. I mean they thought of everything.
The most interesting part was that Richard was chosen to be a contestant in a game where there were "bachlorettes" from the characters of Jane Austen and he had to ask them questions and guess who they were. He got 2 out of 3 right! He only missed the last one because he said Elizabeth Bennett instead of Jane. oh well, I was so proud of him for knowing two! =) What a stud. Just look at him!
I won't mention how many years it's been since I wore it last,
or how long it took to get it zipped!
just so you know, it took me like 12 tries to get these gloves made right.
gloves are hard to make.
gloves are hard to make.


This was a dance called Ship's Cook.If you are a diehard Austen-ian, you will have seen it in the latest rendition of BBC's Emma.
{It's when Mr. Knightley saves Harriet from Mr. Elton's rudeness!}
We jumped around in circles.
I got really carried away.
haha. Richard had to call me back to right place a couple of times.
i'm too excited!
So, if you think we are A-class nerds...
oh well...
I was really happy to see all my favorite Literature professors there.
I even danced in a foursome with one of them.
So I felt like I was in real elite company all night.
I seriously had a blast and told Richard that we should go every year!

You guys are hillarious! I love it. I agree, Richard is quite the stud to do that!
ReplyDeleteOh my heck! You totally just lived out my dream! How fun! When and where will this be held next year? I wanna come with you guys! :)
ReplyDeleteThat looks so great! I am glad that you got to go, it looks perfect! You look so beautiful! My favorite is that you made your gloves! You are amazing!
ReplyDeleteThat seriously looks so fun!! I wonder if I could convince Owen to go next year (if we are around here next year)....
ReplyDeleteUmm... AWESOME! I can't believe they have dances like that! Totally jealous! By the way you and Richard look Fabulous! The dress looks great! We will have to have a pride and Prejudice marathon when you come down for Christmas... Richard and Michael can entertain the kids for 6 hours right!?
ReplyDeleteLooks like a lot of fun. Michael has actually now read "Pride and Prejudice" and he enjoys dancing more than I do. Too bad we weren't around to go to the ball.
ReplyDeleteLUCKY!!!! How fun!!!
ReplyDeleteThat looks like so much fun! I'm glad you had a good time :)
ReplyDeleteI am sooo jealous! I've wanted to do something like this for years! My favorite movie is "P&P"!!! Lucky lucky girl!
ReplyDelete