after apple picking.

"An apple a day keeps the doctor away."
Whoever said that, didn't specify that they couldn't be
coated in chewy caramel
drizzled in melted chocolate
rolled in coconut, nuts, and toffee
and stabbed with a stick.

I have a lot of favorite things.
But this is by far my favorite of all my favorite things.

The apple washer.

Honeycrisps.
Sonia's favorite.
A natural choice.

Who better to unwrap the caramels for me at record breaking speed?

You've got to watch this one...
she's a little too quick.

I added c.r.e.a.m. this year instead of just water or milk.
I'll never go back.

Colette's turn,

Parker's turn, 

My turn.

Now, if all you want to see on my blog is fun stuff about my kids,
now would be a good time to stop reading.
Their role in this scene is over.
The rest is all about my kitchen.

I mentioned that Richard bought me a lot of toys for my kitchen.
He made it into my absolute favorite place of the house. 
The only advice I would give from my twenty-{mumble mumble} years of life:
Make your kitchen a place you LOVE!
I literally find excuses to be in there.
Yes -- even to do dishes!

{I thought a retro tone would be appropriate for these photos}
Orange Rachael Ray pots,
with a steel pot holder
and a magnetic knife stripe.
It's like a poem, because they go so well together.

I hate things on my counter.
{okay, except cute little orange daisies in vases}
BUT, Richard laughs at me that I always put away the toaster.
He says, "People know we have a toaster, Ashley, you don't have to hide it."
Well, it doesn't always have to be in my way. 

So if you, like me, find space to be a necessity that you don't have a lot of,
these pot racks and knife holders have really done me a favor.
Yeah for a big extra cupboard, and a knife-block-less counter.
Richard is so clever. 100% his ideas.
It was a really fun surprise. 

And a little orange kettle just in case. 

Maybe to you it isn't much. 
But that's okay.
You should be saying, 
"My kitchen is cooler than that."
Because I want you to LOVE being in yours 
as much as I love being in mine.

Cooking is probably my favorite hobby.
Right after eating, which is my absolute favorite hobby.
So it only makes sense that I should enjoy cooking, if I enjoy eating.

I don't pretend to be a Paula Deen or anything special like that.
I'm kind of 50% 'success' 50% 'try again' in the kitchen.
But, if practice makes perfect...
I've got a good start.

I love people who really ARE good cooks.
If you like what I call Texican food,
or even if you've ever used the words 
'Food and Texas'
 in the same sentence,
this is the place for you.

The other night we ate these carnitas
and I don't think I've been happier in my entire life.
It's easy.
It's fun.
It's delicious.
Everytime I make one of her recipes for someone,
they say they feel like they are at a Mexican Restaurant.
It's that good.
Not because of me.
Because of her.

So come over sometime, 
and I'll cook you something.
Cross your fingers it'll be good.

Comments

  1. I always put my toaster away! Toasters are messy and an eye-sore! Tell Richard you are not alone in the toaster-eye-sore-ness-club! I LOVE the orange in your kitchen! And I'm totally drooling all over myself over those apples... I think we may have to do some too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are pretty daring to keep those knives in plain view....I'll be waiting for the post when Collette tries to stab Parker (cuz you know it's coming). I'm just saying, I would take the toaster over those anyday:)

    Oh and the apple?? Um, pretty sure Ava and I fought over every last bite. YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  3. fun!! those apples look yummy! i do love that kitchen!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the pot holder and magnetic knife strip. The orange pots are so fun. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greetings from TEXAS! and Grandpa Gary!!
    I Really am happy to see all these cool posts!
    Keep 'em a comin' !!
    Now, don't let anybody try to pressure you into changing your kitchen! It's your kitchen. If you wanna hang those knives, . . . you do it!!
    If you wanna hide the toaster, . . . . stash that hummer deep and let 'em wonder! Life is all about the experience. I bet yur a gonna change things up plenty by the time you hit 30!!

    That kitchen is really nice. And you are a great cook. Best of all, you're a great mom, wife and daughter.
    Love from all us'ens in TEXAS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why does everything you make look so extremely delicious? You know, Tim and I had to go buy apples after this post. I also love your kitchen. Someday, when you have a business designing homes, will you come do mine?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks friend!