Mitchell's IQ

Every once in a while we all have a moment with our kids that makes you say, 
"He's a GENIUS!"

I'm sure you know what I'm talking about, 
because all little children are geniuses to their parents.

For Parker, it was when he started quoting Jane Austen.
For Colette, it was when she pointed to her feet and said "Toes" not "Piggies"

This was that moment for Mitchell today.
But first I have to say, neither Richard nor I taught this to Mitchell.
He just knew it.


My favorite part is when he pauses at 6,
taps it with his finger,
and then jumps to 9,
like he realizes how much they look alike. 

We've been noticing a lot that anytime we see a number, 
Mitchell will point to it and correctly name it.

We thought it was a fluke the first couple times, 
but then one day Richard was holding him near a plaque
with a classroom sign, 
and Mitchell pointed to it, and correctly stated, "2-2-1"
Surely enough we were standing by classroom 221.

So I finally put him to the test and wrote out numbers 1-9.
He may have struggled with 7...
But, he quickly names most of the numbers and recognizes what they look like.

Am I overreacting that this is completely amazing?!
He just barely turned two!

I can only think of two things to explain this...
My kids do sometimes watch Team OmiZoomi,
which is a show about math.

But the most probable explanation is,
 he is Richard's son.
Genetically, he is destined to be a math genius, 
as is his father.

Richard's understanding of math equations 
is the equivalent of a foreign language.

And sometimes Richard says things to me like,
"My love for you is like an irrational number..."

(which is very romantic considering an irrational number is eternal, without end. 
They literally go on forever. 
And I totally already knew that
I just asked Richard for your sake.)

The moral of our post today:
Math wins!


(Richard assured me that it's funny.)



Another clue that your son is a Math genius like Dad,
and not a literary enthusiast like Mom,
one night I turned on Pride and Prejudice...

He felt he needed to wear a helmet.

Comments

  1. I hope this comment does not come out elvish, but he's super smart!!! Hannah is still learning her numbers and she watches umizoomi...so, there's your proof. The question I was texting you was...what photo editing software do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome! And it's amazing that he can tell 6 and 9 apart even though he recognizes that they look similar. Isn't amazing what kids pick up on their own? And I love the pink helmet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love you blog and you! You have me rolling with all your amazing wit and silly stories! You and Richard are two if my favorite people!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks friend!