Colette's 10th Birthday!
My little girl is DOUBLE DIGITS!
Colette has survived an entire decade.
That's something to be pleased about.
After witnessing Parker's Luau, she wanted a Pineapple cake.
Her and I made it together.
It was filled with huckleberry jam!
She drew the face herself, inspired by her favorite doodle...
Isn't she cute?!
Plus Richard surprised her with the coolest candles!!!
The flames were different colors.
Per the birthday girl's request, we went to
THE EDGE Rock Climbing Gym.
All the kids had a place to climb.
Literally.
(Up until she discovered that pulling my hair made me scream,
then she thought it was funny to make me bald...
Like making me gray isn't ENOUGH!)
The kids area had a cool tree house that you climb up...
And slide down!
(And turn into Mitchell in the process!)
JUST KIDDING! There she is!
(Colette: "MOM! Isn't this blog post supposed to be about ME?)
And now for her death defying acts....
(drum roll please)
OUR BIRTHDAY GIRL,
QUEEN OF THE ROPES,
MISTRESS OF THE HIGH TERRAIN,
(mom!)
CO-CO-COLETTE!!!!
She is a natural!
I was so floored how good she was!
(Parker was too, but I'm afraid to mention that on her birthday)
I couldn't believe how high she would go!
That's Colette in a word:
FEARLESS
Unless, she's getting her ears pierced
for the SECOND TIME!
Then she's a complete chicken.
She kept jumping every time the lady touched her!
Her last ear piercing experience,
one earring ripped through after a few months and required plastic surgery.
I think we'd all be a little afraid to try that again.
But Cora was here this time for moral support.
My favorite thing about Colette is how much she loves life.
Her laugh is so contagious that when she is in a silly mood...
It becomes an epidemic through our family.
We all can't help but smile.
She spreads that kind of warmth with her laugh, her hugs, and her kindness.
She is very thoughtful.
The first to say thank you.
The last to complain.
She develops her love for art and music.
She is learning to play the piano really well.
She also is joining a singing/dancing group
this year that starts practicing at the beginning of the school year.
She can also be moody,
and she has this preconceived notion of how a "tween" should act.
And I'm constantly reminding her
that doesn't bring out the best in her!
She has a funny quirk that she really misunderstands things you say.
You could say,
"We are having goulash for dinner,"
and she would gasp and say,
"We are a million dollar prize winner?!"
I'm choosing to find it funny
most.
of.
the.
time.
She is giving and forgiving.
She would rather play with her siblings than her friends.
She also got a grown-up tablet like Parker for her birthday.
The story goes like this....
She has been asking for one for months.
We bought one for her and Parker both.
Parker opened his,
so she just KNEW that there had to be one for her on her birthday too.
Trying to keep the surprise alive,
I did something really mean...
I sat her down and told her in all seriousness,
"Colette, you didn't get a tablet for your birthday.
I don't want you to look forward to it and be disappointed,
so I'm telling you now to prepare you.
Your Dad and I just thought you weren't old enough like Parker."
She thought for a moment and then surprisingly she hugged me and said,
"That's ok Mom, I'm really grateful that you at least thought about it.
I look forward to maybe getting one next year."
I almost cried!
I couldn't believe how sweet she was about it.
Then when she opened her presents and really did get the tablet,
she was REALLY SURPRISED!
(and called me a liar.)
Now Parker and she have something they can do together without fighting!
It's the best thing that's happened in our home since Cora was born.
Colette is passionate about art, creativity, and expressing herself.
She loves having fun, but also enjoys and seeks out solitude.
Things like drawing, art, and reading are preferable to noise.
She still cuddles like she is a baby
and is great at letting you know how much she loves and appreciates you.
It's hard to see her getting her feelings hurt so easily,
but she just as easily forgives those who sometimes don't deserve it.
I'm very proud of the young woman she is becoming.
She is the kind of heroine you read about in the best stories.
I hope her little sisters are paying attention.
















Comments
Post a Comment
Thanks friend!