thirty-nine weeks
and two days, actually.
weekly doctors appointment went well.
50% effaced. 1 cm dilated.
If I am any more progressed on Monday,
he wants to break my water.
what do you think?
is that a safe thing to do?
I haven't ever been in labor.
Most people think I'm crazy for wanting to try.
Since I've had people ask, I will clue you in.
Parker was a c-section because he was born 10 weeks early.
Preeclampsia, loss of vision, high blood pressure.
I joked with my Dad that I wanted my first to be really special,
so I said, "I know, I will have a baby blind!"
It really wasn't that fun.
One year and six days later,
Colette was born via c-section also.
I was planning a VBAC then too, but
the only reason I didn't was because I wasn't dilated at all,
and a VBAC after your due date is when things go wrong.
Big babies, scar tissue, previous incisions rupturing.
I'd rather be blind. again.
So that brings us to the present.
{is this too much information?}
My due date is February 1st,
next Wednesday.
VBAC deadline.
So the doctor wants to break my water Monday,
if I'm dilating at.all.
If not, c-section February 2nd.
By the way, if this makes you uncomfortable,
my doctor just delivered a successful VBAC this weekend,
for a woman with two previous c-sections.
It was his niece.
He has also done it several times before.
Plus, if miss doctor "c-section or die" happens to be at the ER
when/if I go into labor,
Then they will call him instead.
fyi, the new trendy phrase actually isn't VBAC,
it's TLAC.
trial of labor after a c-section.
So I'm going for a TLAC,
that will hopefully lead to a VBAC.
{gee I wish I knew more medical acronyms to add to this joke}
Should he break my water?
Am I really crazy for trying?
Will Punxsutawny Phil see his shadow?
Or do I have to stay pregnant for six more weeks?
Monday will be a fun post.
or boring.
we will see.
This reminds me of a quote:
weekly doctors appointment went well.
50% effaced. 1 cm dilated.
If I am any more progressed on Monday,
he wants to break my water.
what do you think?
is that a safe thing to do?
I haven't ever been in labor.
Most people think I'm crazy for wanting to try.
Since I've had people ask, I will clue you in.
Parker was a c-section because he was born 10 weeks early.
Preeclampsia, loss of vision, high blood pressure.
I joked with my Dad that I wanted my first to be really special,
so I said, "I know, I will have a baby blind!"
It really wasn't that fun.
One year and six days later,
Colette was born via c-section also.
I was planning a VBAC then too, but
the only reason I didn't was because I wasn't dilated at all,
and a VBAC after your due date is when things go wrong.
Big babies, scar tissue, previous incisions rupturing.
I'd rather be blind. again.
So that brings us to the present.
{is this too much information?}
My due date is February 1st,
next Wednesday.
VBAC deadline.
So the doctor wants to break my water Monday,
if I'm dilating at.all.
If not, c-section February 2nd.
By the way, if this makes you uncomfortable,
my doctor just delivered a successful VBAC this weekend,
for a woman with two previous c-sections.
It was his niece.
He has also done it several times before.
Plus, if miss doctor "c-section or die" happens to be at the ER
when/if I go into labor,
Then they will call him instead.
fyi, the new trendy phrase actually isn't VBAC,
it's TLAC.
trial of labor after a c-section.
So I'm going for a TLAC,
that will hopefully lead to a VBAC.
{gee I wish I knew more medical acronyms to add to this joke}
Should he break my water?
Am I really crazy for trying?
Will Punxsutawny Phil see his shadow?
Or do I have to stay pregnant for six more weeks?
Monday will be a fun post.
or boring.
we will see.
This reminds me of a quote:
"When I was born, I was so traumatized that I didn't talk for two years."
I say go for trying! You should ask him what he plans to do after breaking your water Monday. Does he want to admit you after that? Does he want you to come back for another appointment Tuesday? Would he wait to break your water on your Wednesday when you're due? What if your dilation, station (unlikely until labor is actually happening since it is baby #3, but since you've never been in labor it could be different) or effacement have changed on Monday? Does he still want to break your water then or would he wait it out a couple days? Would he consider just a membrane sweep? Lots of questions to ask....sounds like you have lots of research and praying to do this weekend. :) Good luck! My thoughts and prayers are being sent your way.
ReplyDeleteI would say let him break your water, you are already 50% effaced and dilated to a 1. When I had Eden it didn't take long at all for me to go into labor once they broke my water. Sometimes bodies need that little push to go in the right direction. And plus the longer you wait the harder it becomes. So good luck. I have been through that process before if you want to talk.
ReplyDeleteWell Ideally you want your water in tacked until the bitter end (for pain purposes) Once they break your water the pressure is a lot worse. Not to scare you or anything :) It also starts the clock and you only have 24 hours to deliver after that, which I guess you only have 2 days anyway or they will do a c-section. So I guess you have nothing to lose. Have they stripped your membranes? I would try that for sure. I have been a week late with both babies of mine, and a good stripping of the membranes helps me a bit. I wish you luck and hope that something works!
ReplyDeleteThey broke my water with Travis, I was about the same as you and I delivered him 7 hrs later. But with Tyler, when they broke my water thats when all the problems started (prolapse cord was the end result and had to be rushed in for a c-section because his heart rate was dropping really fast). I've had both experiences!
ReplyDeleteMy thoughts are.. try for the vbac. What do you have to lose? When we go to have another one I'm going to try for a vbac as well. In my opinion the c-section was easier.. but I think a woman should be able to experience labor at least once, pain and all!
Another thing to think about, I have heard that many doctors wont take on a woman who has had more then 3 c-sections, saying its too dangerous and all this other crazy nonsense. At least that was the way it was down in NM, so the woman who had 3 were pretty much done having kids. If you have a vbac you wont be faced with that dilemma.
I'd say go for it on Monday. Maybe your baby will cooperate and make you start labor this weekend, so it'll be a non-issue. Fingers crossed.
ReplyDeletewell...i was in labor and dialated to a 9 before my doctor announces that he's going to do a c-section!!! I'm still a little mad about that-anyway, when i have my second one, i'd like to try for a VBAC or TLAC i should say, just to see what it would be like?? I don't know!! I don't think you're crazy for trying. good luck with everything!!
Deleteok, honestly, i'd opt for the c-section just because instead of enduring the pain for 17+ hours and then seeing your baby, with a section you will get to see him in...oh...ten min?!?!? as you already know, right? :)
ah! everytime i see a new update, i think i will see a new baby :) unfortunately my only bit of advice is to get an epidural during your TLAC. haha. im a wimp and only made it to a 5 before i was dying. granted i'd been having labor pains for over a month so i was pretty exahusted. either way, you will soon have a brand spankin new skifton baby and i can hardly wait to see the cutie!
ReplyDeleteI keep hoping to see a baby too! My only advice is...go team! ???...I dunno. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteTry it! If you have to get another C-Section then so be it but.. at least you can say that you tried everything to have a VBAC...err.. I mean TLAC. Good Luck!
ReplyDeleteDo it! Do it! Do it! Better yet, bring your kids to our house and you and Richard can get things going (wink, wink). That means your so-called contractions are doing something! Do you want my exercise ball? I have an extra one and I think you should splurge (who really needs text messaging anyway) and go get a pedicure with foot massage and have them do all the pressure points- I swear by them!
ReplyDeleteBetter yet, maybe Rachel could just steal one of those crochet looking needles that they use to break your water-I'm sure you can find detailed instructions online....hahahahaha!
Hooray friend!
Let them break your water. I was induced with Jacey, and everything went fine. :0) I laughed when you asked if it was TMI/uncomfortable and right after said the doctor delivered his nieces baby. Up to that point, all the info was great, but for some reason the thought of an uncle delivering his nieces baby kinda weirded me out. lol Good luck either way! Wish it was me. I still have 11 weeks to go. ugh.
ReplyDeleteI've heard that breaking your water will start labor. I'm not sure because my first was c-section, my second the water leaked by itself and I was able to have a VBAC/TLAC. The VBAC was a quicker recovery, however, it still has linger issues (bladder leakage) that will never go away for me. I don't regret the VBAC, though. You do what is best for you! I'm way excited for you guys!
ReplyDeleteWow! It sounds like you've got some great advice, so I'll just say good luck! You do what is best for you and the baby. I'll be thinking about you, and crossing my fingers "c-section or die" doc isn't around on your big day ;) Good luck and can't wait to see pics of your new little guy!
ReplyDelete