Pay Day

Richard has been working really hard.
research, tests, graduate level math problems 
that are more Greek alphabet letters than they are numbers.
online classes,
and changing diapers.
Ever since last September he has been working
to apply for a fellowship grant to continue his schooling.
He took the GRE, wrote essays, sent transcripts...
and then yesterday,



Richard WON a substantial fellowship from the 
UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY!
They are paying him to get a PhD!

He is the first student at the University of Idaho to win it.
Only 30 other graduate students in the nation won this same fellowship also.

The smartest, handsomest, and safest guy in Idaho.

The whole time Colette rides on the bike with Daddy she is going, 
"Whooooa! Whooooooooooooaaa!! Whooooa!!!" 

All the neighborhood kids were playing and they went to a big pile of dirt {of course} near our townhouse.
Colette being the smallest got left behind. 
I went to her and said that I would walk over with her to where Parker was playing.
"I don't want Parker," she said.
Confused, I asked her why,
"Parker's a robot," she told me.
"What?! A Robot."
"Yeah, Parker's a robot."
"How do you know?"
"Because he goes like that." 
{no expression on her face}

I can see what she means.
I hope those workers won't be missing their safety cone.


Mostly I can say life is good. 



Two guesses what he is doing right now! 

"Eh?" 



 No, you can't have him!

 Things I have learned the last three months:

1. Newborn boogers should be put into bottles and sold as super glue.
2. Newborns get lint in their palms.
3. Old sweatshirts are the hardest to get rid of and I'm not just saying that because I just watched We Bought a Zoo. I did check all the pockets though.
4. Potties are overrated. Diapers are our friends.
5. Husbands are smart. We should keep them.
6. Paprika is easily confused with cayenne pepper.
7. Hungary is really far away.
8. Unsalted butter is better than salted.
9. Insanity: telling your kids the same thing over and over expecting they might actually listen.
10. The fishtail braid.
11. Folding laundry is no longer a luxurious day I set aside with a movie and Flipz.
12. I have really great friends.

Nine days until our vacation to Texas. 
We've all earned it.

Comments

  1. I'm working on potty training Liesl as I write this and I'm at the stage where I can totally agree with the "potty training is overrated" statement. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the fellowship! I think all men with a wife & children should get paid if they choose to pursue a PhD:) And, I second the potty-training statement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How crazy exciting about the fellowship!!! I am bursting with happiness for you. So I assume you guys are staying in Idaho correct? And potty training is the pits no matter how you put it, there is no pleasant way to do it. How is life with three kids treating you? Crazy?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! Where is Richard going for his PhD? I hope you have a fantastic time in Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray for Richard....now we really can't hang-out with his type! And I will argue #8....unsalted butter - well, it tastes more like cubed newborn boogers so I guess if you fancy that then go right ahead. I will continue to salt my way to heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Congratulations Richard!!!!! That is completely freaking awesome! I'll keep 1 and 2 in mind, 7 I agree with (I've actually been there, it is beautiful) Have fun in Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is so awesome but i'm not surprised because richard is so smart! you guys totally deserve this! mitchell fits in with you family so perfectly, what a cutie pie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tell Richard Congratulations! Ashpants you're hilarious. I love reading your blog, it is so entertaining! I can't believe how big Mitchell has gotten. What a cute family!!! I miss your guts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations to Richard and the whole family as well!. You guys are awesome and I am so happy for you. Thanks for being a good friend and for being there when I am having those crazy doctors appointments. My family really appreciate your kindness and service.
    Have fun in Texas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Ashley, I saw your comment on my blog...of course I remember who you are! It is so fun to see you now...with a family...you have adorable kids! Keep up the good work and drop by to leave me a message now and then!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is great! You know, no place better to get a PhD than MIT...eh?

    ReplyDelete
  12. CONGRATS RICHARD AND ASHLEY!!!wow we are so happy for you guys. this doesnt suprise me at all. you guys deserve such fortune and richard will do great things for his feild! we love you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks friend!