Sleep Tight.


Just so you know, 
this used to be a pretty rare sight.

Mitchell is completely a perfect child in every way,
during the day.

Then there was nighttime. 

He wasn't necessarily crying a lot,
he just wanted to be awake, 
and I didn't. 

So I turned into a zombie.

I've tried lots of things to help him sleep. 
nursing.
baby massage.
nighttime baths.
a big bowl of oatmeal before bed.
rocking. 
singing.
white noise. 
music.
bottles.
pacifiers.
swaddling.
co-sleeping.
weaning.

I began each new method with high hopes
that this time it was going to work...


So our most recent situation was:
giant crib right next to my bed,
waking up many times a night 
but not having to leave the comfort of my own bed.
Trying to wean, with little success,
because, I flatter myself, 
that cow's milk just doesn't compare to mom's.
Mitchell is quickly losing his sweet, smiley good temper during the day
and I realize, 
He isn't getting enough sleep either.
So we both are turning into zombies.


Then my friend Rachel, who I love, 
asked me if I would fast with her.
I agreed reluctantly, 
since nursing and pregnancy have kept me from fasting in a long time. 

I didn't know if I could do it, 
but then it occurred to me, 
that this should be a duel purpose fast. 

I fasted for my friend, 
and I also fasted for Mitchell, 
that he would learn to sleep. 

As I was fasting and praying on that day, 
different ideas came to my mind about changes I needed to make to our situation. 

First of all, 
His crib needed to be moved back into his own room.
As he saw us making the switch.
He cried his eyes out,
as did I, 
because we both knew what that meant.

Also, I needed to completely wean him. 
It's easier at night to nurse and go back to sleep in 10 minutes, 
then try to rock him back to sleep for 2 hours,
but I needed to let go. 

So, I was inspired with a way to get him to drink that other milk.
I gave him a warm bottle with a spoonful of honey in it.
I laid him in the crib, 
popped the bottle in his mouth, 
problem solved.

Then I strategically scattered about 12 pacifiers throughout his crib.
I kissed him good night, 
and I shut the door.

That night he slept until 8 am.

I woke up with the sun shining through my window.
I almost started to cry when I looked at the clock.

That was two weeks ago.
He has slept through the night, 
every
night
since.

It's almost as if Heavenly Father was saying to me, 
Thank You for FINALLY asking for MY help!

I know some of the solutions are contrary to what modern advice would say.
"No bottles in the crib!" 
"No honey until they are 2 years old!"
"Pacifiers are for wussies!"

However, I'm putting my baby to bed at 7:30 pm
and he is now sleeping until 8 am.
For the first time in over seven months. 
Can you blame me?
Who cares what "they" say.
"They" probably don't have kids!

Richard says he literally can feel a weight lifted off our shoulders.
I can feel it too. 
I'm sure that Mitchell most of all can too.


{sigh}
it's beautiful isn't it?

Now I can start my second book on parenting, 
How to Get Your Baby to Sleep Through the Night in 7 Months
by Doing Everything "They" Tell You Not To
the prequel to 
How to Potty-Train Your Child in At Least 12 Months


Comments

  1. Yay!! I am so happy for you! PS I have decided that I can never tell you when we have a good night because the next night is terrible! I just blame it on teething for my sanity :)PPS I'm pretty sure "they" say not to give your kid honey until they are one so you are in the green! Sleep on Mitchell, sleep on...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post made me so happy! This helped remind me of how I don't need to do everything by myself all the time because Heavenly Father is right there to help me if I just ask. Very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that he is finally sleeping through the night. I hope he keeps it up. And I love the titles for your upcoming best sellers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks friend!