Pittsburgh

This has been the most exciting year of my life.
We recently set out on another adventure that will forever be treasured in my heart.
We drove three days to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

A little background story...

When I received my Patriarchal Blessing, it was very very very clear that Heavenly Father intended for me to serve a mission. There was no loop holes or escape clauses... believe me, I looked.

The only problem was that I did NOT want to serve a mission.

I knew what people thought of sister missionaries.

And more importantly, I wanted to get married and have kids. Period.

I do have many other sub-goals in my life, but the main and most important goal was to get married and start my family. That's all I wanted.

So when my 21st birthday came along, I felt a slight tug at my heart to serve a mission. But the overpowering desire I had to get married pulled at me as well.

Still I felt a duty to the direction God had given me in my blessing, and I put in my mission papers out of obligation to God's request of me. While I waited for the call to come in the mail, I was overwhelmed with fear and had made up my mind that no matter where I was called, I wouldn't go.

So weeks passed and the call came. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Easy enough to say no to, right?
So I quickly sat down and wrote a letter saying that I regrettably would not be able to serve, and that my heart was set on marriage and family at this time. Several professors at BYU-Idaho supported me in this and said I was fulfilling my place in the plan. So life was good. Phew. Adverted that responsibility in my life.

UNTIL... I went to register for the last semester of my Bachelor's Degree. And I could not schedule one.single.class that I needed. Not one. My entire semester would have to be filled with classes that I didn't need. It was a waste of time. I was really upset. So I decided that I would defer the semester and then do something else with my time.

I had a roommate at the time who had served in the Peace Core. Nice idea. I will go off in the Peace Core and help people that way. So I applied online and told them that I would go anywhere, absolutely anywhere. The particular program I was applying for only did work in the United States.
So city after city evaluated my application, and I heard from many of them saying they would consider bringing me in to their program. Then slowly one by one, rejection letters came. Programs were full. No spaces available. Except for one. Only one city replied favorably that I could come and be useful to their program. Which city? Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

I had never heard of this city in my life, and yet Heavenly Father was making it very clear that it was where I needed to be. I confessed all this to my Dad, who responded, "You told a Prophet of God that his mission call to you was not inspired?" Well, when you put it like that... Geez. He said that the solution seemed very clear. I thought so too.

The next day, I went to my Stake President and also confessed to him of my selfish behavior. I expressed that I now was ready to fulfill my mission assignment. He said that since I rejected the call, I should have received my papers back and would have to start over again. I told him that I had no mission papers. Confused, he started making phone calls to locate them. Salt Lake had no idea where they were, so they suggested we call the Pittsburgh Mission Office.

The call was on speaker phone and a kind Mission President answered the phone. I now know this was President Crump. My Stake President said, "I have a Sister Ashley Clark here." Then President Crump interrupted and said, "Send her as soon as you can!" My Stake President continued to tell him my situation and how we were looking for my mission papers. President Crump said, "I know, I know. I have her mission papers sitting right here by my phone. I knew, I just knew that she would come. So I have been waiting for this call."

Naturally, I broke down and cried. And then quickly afterwards was on my way as a missionary of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Exactly where I knew I should be.

Sometimes we don't always know right away why we are sent certain places to do certain things. I was yet to discover what my mission would mean for my future. But I quickly learned what it would mean for the future of a very special man.

Elder and Sister Zirker, Me, Mark Geherin, and Ginny (Olsen) Hartman

When we knocked on Mark Geherin's door, he was holding a stack of pamphlets from other churches. He was looking, and so were we. Luckily we found each other. Teaching Mark is singled out as the most significant experience of my mission. He alone stands as the sole reason I was sent to Pittsburgh. He thinks that it is because he needed me, but I know that it is because I needed Mark. He taught me what the gospel can do for people. He taught me how you can find conversion and keep that same powerful spirit with you everyday.

He has lived the gospel and been taught by the Spirit so as to become the man that Heavenly Father created him to be. He is the perfect example of living to your full potential. Since his baptism, he has been sealed in the temple to a perfectly charming woman, Jean, and her clever daughter, Noahlivia. He received a life saving liver transplant surgery. He is finishing a Master's degree in counseling. He has bought a house and is now the Bishop of the Pittsburgh 1st ward.

These are all accomplishments made by his righteous choices to follow the Spirit. They are blessings that have poured down upon him because of his shining example to so many in this world. Especially me.

I tell you all this so that you understand why this recent trip to Pittsburgh is the highlight of my entire year. Maybe even the highlight of several years time.

I called to tell Mark that Richard, my husband, was needed in a conference held in Pittsburgh. He knew something about fluid transients that he could teach in a class during this conference. Blah blah blah.. we were going back to PITTSBURGH! Mark's exact words were that he was "dancing." I would have liked to see that.

Mark quickly called my companion, Ginny Hartman. We were serving together when the power that is Mark Geherin came into our lives. He charmed her into coming to Pittsburgh during the same weekend.

The three of us all back together again. A force to be reckoned with.

Ginny Hartman, Mark Geherin, and Me.


Ginny Hartman, Me and Mitchell, Mark Geherin and his wife, Jean
Colette, Parker, and Noahlivia.

We went to church together. Mark standing at the pulpit, presiding in all his Priesthood glee. He was so eloquent and bore a fervent testimony that I shall not forgot. My memories of teaching Mark are so uplifting and strong. I thought I couldn't top the feeling of watching him enter the waters of baptism. I was wrong. Watching him stand as the Bishop of the Pittsburgh 1st Ward, truly a father and a beacon of strength to all the members there, is now the new burning image in my mind when I remember Mark. 

I'm speaking of him as if this is his funeral, which isn't remotely near. So perhaps that enough for now about that. ha. 

We then had a lovely dinner at Mark's house. We told stories, laughed, reminisced. Mark probably rolled his eyes at least once or twice as he remembered how silly Ginny and I can be when left together.

Sure, Ginny is his favorite, but being a second favorite to a man like Mark Geherin is a pretty special place to be.

I know for certain that we are connected to people in this life. They are from our past. Before we were born and living with Heavenly Father. Ginny and Mark are two of those people. Only in the eternities may we completely understand our connections to each other, but this much is clear -- We were destined to meet. My Spirit confirmed it to me as I met them again in Pittsburgh. 

More on our trip to come. Much more...

Comments

  1. Very touching. I may have teared up a time or two...maybe! You are amazing and I loved every minute that we got to spend together back in Pittsburgh. You were an awesome companion to serve with and continue to be an amazing friend. I too feel that special eternal bond and am so grateful you decided to come serve in the PPM!!! Mark and I both needed you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing testimony of the fact that our Heavenly Father knows what we need in our lives and what is best for us. It looks like you guys had a fun time being back there in Pittsburgh. I think its great that your kids got to see where both of you served your missions.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks friend!