Date Night...

Old Richie and I went on an amazing date night tonight. John Schmidt was playing on campus and so we quickly swiped up some tickets. Richard has loved his music since he was 15. He sent me a CD while I was on my mission, and it really pulled me through my last three months. Richard got this CD signed at the end of the show. The Renaissance Hymn is truly something special. He told a lot of the symbolism involved in the song, and about the rising of Zion, the spreading of the gospel, and he says in one part of the song he literally tries to play as fast as his fingers can go to exemplify how we are to be working as fast as we can to bring about the kingdom of God. And the eventual end is the second coming and every knee bowing and every tongue confessing that Jesus is the Christ. How can you not love such a musician? I was so filled by his music and it makes me sad that I haven't practiced the piano in five years! However, I don't think any amount of practicing can make you a John Schmidt. He was born a genius.
Watch this... then come back and read the rest of my blog
The best best BEST part of the night, however, was the encore at the end of the show. They wanted to do some free style jazz music and they invited someone from the audience to come up. John played a series of notes and said whoever could tell him what notes they were could come play with him... very quickly in the back right of the auditorium came "B F G A C#..." {I'm making these up because obviously I don't know what they were} but the kid did, and was very eagerly invited on stage.
Picture this: a young, tall, lanky boy, ruffled curly hair, long john shirt, and no socks... sits down on the piano next to John Schmidt. John begins a basic flow of jazz chords and this nineteen year old boy plucks out a couple notes. After about three, the crowd was about to jump out of their skin. This kid proceeded to fly into jazz combo that had everyone screaming. John Schmidt was just absolutely floored. The kid even began reaching over John Schmidt's arms and playing all over the keys. Words can't tell the perfect flow of music that came out of this boy and it was obvious that he was the equal to John himself. This boy has inspired me like nothing else has. It was by the far the best date ever. This kid will never read my blog or know how much Richard and I will talk about him for the rest of our lives. I don't know what will happen to him in the future, but tonight, to me, he is a celebrity.
Here's to you David Morgan - my hero.
Watch this... then come back and read the rest of my blog
The best best BEST part of the night, however, was the encore at the end of the show. They wanted to do some free style jazz music and they invited someone from the audience to come up. John played a series of notes and said whoever could tell him what notes they were could come play with him... very quickly in the back right of the auditorium came "B F G A C#..." {I'm making these up because obviously I don't know what they were} but the kid did, and was very eagerly invited on stage.
Picture this: a young, tall, lanky boy, ruffled curly hair, long john shirt, and no socks... sits down on the piano next to John Schmidt. John begins a basic flow of jazz chords and this nineteen year old boy plucks out a couple notes. After about three, the crowd was about to jump out of their skin. This kid proceeded to fly into jazz combo that had everyone screaming. John Schmidt was just absolutely floored. The kid even began reaching over John Schmidt's arms and playing all over the keys. Words can't tell the perfect flow of music that came out of this boy and it was obvious that he was the equal to John himself. This boy has inspired me like nothing else has. It was by the far the best date ever. This kid will never read my blog or know how much Richard and I will talk about him for the rest of our lives. I don't know what will happen to him in the future, but tonight, to me, he is a celebrity.
Here's to you David Morgan - my hero.
Ryan and I were totally going to go to that concert but got coersed into going to bishops... so glad you guys got a date night and a pretty amazing one at that!!
ReplyDeleteSo glad you had fun! I hope to have a fun date night sometime soon =)
ReplyDelete