St. Patrick's Day Hang Over


So, I hope everyone had a very good and a very green St. Patrick's Day. We opted for green eggs and pancakes (I couldn't stomach green ham). But I want to ask you, do you know why you wear green every March 17th? I though I knew, but I just found out the real reason. If you can picture the flag of Ireland, it comprises of three colors. Green on one side, Orange on the other, and white in between. The reason is that green represents Catholic Ireland, and orange represents Protestant Ireland, while white symbolizes the peace that they wish to exist between them. So, if you are in Ireland on St. Patrick's Day you wear green if you are Catholic or of Catholic descent, and orange if you are Protestant, or of Protestant descent. You could also wear white if you wish to show you have not allegiance to either. So, we can see that only the Catholic influence has transferred to our American version of the festivities, since everything is always green. My dad pointed out that it's probably because the holiday is in honor of SAINT Patrick, he was probably Catholic. DUH! But, maybe you could spice up your St. Patrick's Day next year, and go with all orange or white. Then when you get pinched, you can say, "You ignorant Catholic swine!* Let me enlighten you about the real St. Patrick's Day!"

*(I don't mean this as a personal slander against anyone of Catholic heritage or belief, simply against those that wear green without knowing why.)

Comments

  1. you are so funny! HOW have you been??? I think I'm hurt that I NEVER, EVER hear from you! or see you! oh well...guess you're happily married and I'm not needed here any longer. :( it's so good to "see" you, read about your life, and know that you are happy and healthy! parker is precious! so what will you name the new little one if it really is a girl??? just curious.

    well, write to me sometime. email is: readhead@sbcglobal.net

    love you,
    debbie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks friend!