The Kid's Room
When we moved into this townhome,
we asked the landlord (aka Richard's Uncle Randy)
if it had one big bedroom and two small ones.
He replied, "No, it has one small room and two smaller ones."
And he wasn't lying.
However, we are so very happy in this cute little townhome.
We have tried for about a year now to create bedrooms for our kids,
that compensate for our extreme lack of space.
Enter: European Ingenuity.
They know about small spaces.
Plus I am married to an Engineer.
And I'm on Pinterest.
Just a quick visit to THE KIDS ROOM Board
and it will be obvious where I stole all my ideas from.
COLETTE'S ROOM
I bought the Fantastic Mr. Fox picture at Society6
which can kind of be a weird website, but it has cute stuff too.
The picture collage was probably the only part of this room that was my own original idea.
We bought a seat cover for our van..
It was like 9 dollars at AutoZone...
It felt a little springy and uncomfortable...
so one day I just had to rip it open and see what was inside...
it was these two adorable square springy things...
so naturally I decided to clip pictures and hairbows on them...
Colette laughed out loud when she saw these pictures of animals wearing posh clothes.
I immediately fell in love with them also.
Print them here.
I know it's hard to see them in this picture,
but on top of the bookcase are the adorable Olliblocks!
And a miniature rocking chair that I bought at D.I.
There was a beam of light that shined from heaven down
on this beautiful piece of children's furniture.
It was destiny.
The big grey floor pouf was my General Conference weekend project.
Nevermind that it took several weeks after to actually finish it.
Still, it's adorable.
You can make your own here.
Best free crochet pattern ever.
Secret Dollhouse
We made a risky move, and bought this grey bunk bed on Amazon.
We are so happy with it.
It is exactly 1 inch shorter than the width of the room.
Phew--Close fit.
It may have to stay here if we ever move.
I'm sure there isn't a better place to shop for small spaces than Ikea.
After looking at about 3,678 comforters on Amazon,
Colette about exploded when she saw this deer blanket.
I love it only because she loves it.
With such a nice high railing, I don't worry about kids falling off.
Twinkly star night light idea here.
Nighty Night!!
PARKER & MITCHELL'S ROOM
Richard BUILT, that's right I said, BUILT these beds!!
He made them in high school and
who would have thought that now his children would be sleeping on them.
I love that Mitchell's is so close to the floor,
because I don't worry about him falling off!
Then it easily rolls under Parker's bed during the day for extra space.
Parker, the newfound artist, needed a place to color that wasn't on the living room floor.
He has a folding stool that he can easily fold up and put away when it gets crowded.
Then pull out again when he feels inspiration for a new drawing.
He can do it himself, it is so easy.
While transporting the bed,
we lost a drawer!!
Luckily my saw savvy husband is whipping together a new one.
Also, can you spy our hidden artillery?
Making a big statement on this wall on a low budget,
I opted for the faux canvas idea here.
Engineer prints from Staples
and good Michael's coupons for a good deal on canvases.
I do have to warn you...
It was not as easy as I thought it would be.
I had to redo Parker's picture.
I tried spray adhesive and it left big oily spots...
I finally just used Modge Podge and smoothed it over and over again.
Richard says that this looks more like a law firm than a little boys room.
Still I love it.
Printable from here.
In an IKEA frame.
(The mirror in it broke!)
Little man corner...
complete with bow ties for church
The floor space is perfectly sufficient to satisfy our obsessive train engineer.
Although at the rate this boy is growing...
So there it is.
Hoorah.
We have finished their rooms.
They are finally organized with a spot for everything,
it is really easy to clean them.
The kids know where everything goes,
and can do it by themselves.
I used to think that furniture was a waste of space,
but now I know that a clean room is a room with lots of drawers to shove stuff in!
I honestly stole nearly every idea from Pinterest.
And when the kids have a space that is all theirs,
it makes the whole house a happier place.





















I love how you decorated their rooms! You are so creative!
ReplyDeleteok seriously, when can richard build a bed for garrett, and when can you come decorate garrett and Audrey's rooms for me?? :) they look so cute! :) It was good seeing you and your family at alex's reception! We need to get together soon! :)
ReplyDeleteHoly kamoly! You are basically best ever! I'm totally in love! Like chin on the ground impressed! There pinning things and then there's making it happen. YOU, my friend, rock! Ashley Furniture and Home ain't got nothin on Ashley Pinterest and Engineering! If you haven't guessed yet, I think everything turned out fantastic :-) (and Collette's deer comforter is still cracking me up!)
ReplyDeleteLovely!!!! Everything is so nicely put together and so original as well. You did a fantastic job!
ReplyDeleteAshley, they are adorable!!
ReplyDeleteAshley, they are adorable!!!
ReplyDeleteAshley! I love the rooms! They are awesome! I will be stealing some ideas! Well done!
ReplyDelete