San Francisco R&D 100
Richard in a tuxedo?
with cuff links?
in San Francisco?
receiving an award for the R&D 100?
am I dreaming?
how did we get here?
Let me take you back a couple days...
then all will be explained...
Here we are!
Wednesday, December 4th, 2019
on a plane to San Francisco.
Where are the kids, you ask?
NOT HERE!
They stayed home with their sweet Grandma Jackie and Aunt Michelle.
No kids allowed at the awards show.
The train to our rental car!
(Brace yourself for a lot of selfies of JUST US!)
It's been TWELVE YEARS since I've not had kids around me to take pictures of.
We checked into our hotel
It's a vintage 1920's paradise.
Corner window, on the top floor.
Looking down on Union Square,
San Francisco's finest shopping experience.
(But you still can't step in puddles)
We treated ourselves right to Brazilian barbecue.
Table for 2?!
YES PLEASE!
Thursday Morning:
We had a lot of time to kill before the main event...
We spent the morning doing an endowment session at the Oakland Temple.
And then pretending to be visitors
What a view from the top!!!
Next stop...
PIER 39!
There's a view of our kid's new boarding school
Formerly known as Alcatraz Prison
They said they are wide open for the fall!
Bunkbeds, tunnels, a play yard, uniforms, exercise, and lots of rocks...
OK, maybe not.
But I love the bird photo bomb!
"What? You gotta problem with birds in your photos?
Like you're too good to take a photo with a bird?"
We spent the whole day of our get away buying souvenirs for the kids we left behind!
The Pier had an awesome Left-handed store, perfect stop for Parker!
We had to snag some AUTHENTIC sour dough
And I say very humbly that after over a year of perfecting my own recipe,
this sourdough blows mine out of the water!
SOOOO much better.
And then fish and chips and clam chowder!
STOP ME!
...Oh no... look who it is...
another one of these bird jokers...
Can you stop harassing me while I'm eating lunch!
And no lunch is more appetizing than when you are eating in front of an audience of seals.
I think I'll skip dessert.
NOW, here we are back where we started.
Richard's ready and all suited up to receive his award!
The main event!
The big dance!
The silver tuna!
The nerdiest...
Richard: *ahem*
...Okay, anyway, Richard won an R&D 100 award.
I didn't know what it was either,
but I guess
it's like the Oscar's for engineer's,
The coveted award of the year,
The cream on the top of any resume,
The gold medal for inventors,
The most prestigious...
Richard: *ahem*
...Okay, anyway, Richard won for his nuclear thermal-couple that he invented.
But he still puts his pants on one leg at a time just like everybody else.
Richard was glowing.
Like our wedding day!
And speaking of which,
he was wearing the same tuxedo from our wedding!
After twelve years...
It was a privilege to stand by him. He was the handsomest he's ever been.
Outshining even Sir Francis Drake and our concierge in his peasant costume.
(I'm joking, Fred, you look great.)
Best friend #1!
(I was embarrassed at first that I left my glasses on for the pictures,
then I remembered where I was...)
Best friend #2!
Erin was there with her husband who won also!!
It was so special to share this fun night with amazing people we love.
Front row table!
And I only had to elbow a few people to get these seats.
Look at this smart guy beaming with pride!

Here's the team that makes it all possible.
Josh, Richard and Kurt.
So proud of all of them!
During our meal at this award banquet,
we got a text that our flight the next day had been cancelled due to a wind advisory!!!
But after a quick call we actually got in a flight much earlier in the morning.
So we surprised the kids a little sooner than they expected!
They didn't really notice. haha.
We love and miss our kids, but this was a trip of a lifetime!
It was so refreshing to be on our own.
Just Richard and I.
And knowing how hard he works,
and that people are taking notice and awarding his effort,
was really rewarding for me.
Also, spending so much time with my best friend,
just he and I,
that was my prize.
That's all folks...
Thanks for coming a long.




























Comments
Post a Comment
Thanks friend!