my new initiative
we all reach a time in our lives...
...no i don't want to start like that...
Actually I don't know how to start this post.
So to put it plainly,
I feel unhealthy.
I have become aware that eating the way I do, doesn't make me feel great.
I used to think enriched Eggo waffles with High Fructose Maple flavored Corn Syrup
was a completely acceptable breakfast.
{Especially when they are artificially flavored blueberry waffles}
That tastes like fruit, right?
If that's what you had for breakfast, good for you, I wish I did.
Let me emphasize here that everybody's body is different.
Some people thrive on different kinds of foods.
So maybe you should keep in mind that this is MY initiative.
I have hesitated to share it because I don't you to come away with the idea
that I'm telling you this is the way to live for
every single person who reads this post.
But maybe I'm posting about this to get your support and motivation.
They say when you share a goal with your friends, you are more likely to achieve it.
So you are my friends, and I'm sharing it with you.
I don't eat healthy, I don't feel healthy and I'm going to do something about it.
What prompted this?
Let me share a couple thoughts that I have read recently.
"In general, the more food we eat in its natural state and the less it is refined without additives, the healthier it will be for us."
President Ezra Taft Benson
"Do Not Despair" Oct. Conference 1974
Thank you daily personal study.
Something happened to me when I read this.
A prophet said something that I'm sure we all would agree is true,
but don't really think about everytime we put food in our mouths.
EVERYTHING is processed it seems.
It's very hard for me to think outside the idea.
Then my sister-in-law told me about a fascinating new diet idea.
Different diets and lifestyle choices that are determined by your blood type.
Makes sense. We have different bodies, different metabolisms,
so not every diet will work for every body.
I happen to be blood type A+.
As I was reading his suggestions for someone of my blood type,
I felt sort of like he was reading my palm.
Very creepily accurate descriptions of how I feel and how I live.
From my lack of a desire to exercise intensely, to my continued craving for carbs.
Even down to my over-active nose and how smells stress me out.
So, I decided to read more of his suggestions of how to better my eating.
Then I read it again,
"It is particularly important for sensitive Type As to eat their foods in as natural a state as possible: pure, fresh, and organic."
So case and point:
I want to eat healthy.
I mean really healthy.
I'm not talking about being skinny...
I'm talking about being strong.
So, if you happen to remotely feel like I do.
Then now we have a support group.
A source of finding healthy life choices in a world of easily prepared processed food.
I reminisce about my college days of
hot fudge
rocky road
whipped cream
sundaes
with an entire box of Oreos on top...
goodtimes...good times...
I love food.
I cannot stress that enough.
I LOOOOOOOVE food.
I love to cook food.
I love to watch other people cook food.
I love to look at pictures of food.
I love to talk about food.
I love to blog about food.
So you see where a problem might exist here?
While my initiative begins with a great deal of personal motivation,
The day may come very soon when I get..
hungry
and off the wagon we go.
Then now we have a support group.
A source of finding healthy life choices in a world of easily prepared processed food.
I never ever thought I would be one of those people.
The kind that worry about what they eat.
The kind that substitute whole grains for bleached all purpose flour
and agave nectar for refined sugar.
I reminisce about my college days of
hot fudge
rocky road
whipped cream
sundaes
with an entire box of Oreos on top...
goodtimes...good times...
But here's what I've found out so far, and it really is making a difference.
1- My new treats have taken the form of fruits and nuts.
A hand full of ALMONDS versus a handful of chocolate chips.
And a serving of PINEAPPLE instead of the piece of cake.
{I can eat A LOT of cake}
2- QUINOA with mushrooms, water chestnuts, and teriyaki sauce,
is absolutely delicious and filling wrapped in a crisp leaf of lettuce.
But this fabulous little protein house is a great additive to any meal.
3- Eating SEVERAL SMALL SNACKS a day has replaced my three square meals.
The only reason we eat three meals is because it revolves around the average work day.
Our bodies are meant to be nourished more regularly.
I make it a point to eat every THREE hours, usually a snack about the size of my palm.
Half a sandwich, a handful of nuts, a small portion of crackers, or a piece of fruit.
Not only do I feel more energy sustaining me with this method,
but the body won't store as much fat because it isn't wondering when the next meal will be.
Look it up. It's true!
4- If you live for a sweetie chocolate treat, plan for it, and make it a good one.
5- Don't just eat food because it's there.
Get away from the food, or get the food away from you.
Once Richard and I have our first helping of dinner, I put the rest in the fridge.
Otherwise, we pick at it way too long and end up feeling grossly over-eaten.
6- There really isn't a great substitute for sugar. It's too delicious.
Everything I've tried is a very obvious taste difference.
The only real way to get over eating too much sugar is self control.
It's not like you can live completely never using sugar again.
I just always quote Nacho Libre in my head when I want sugar,
"Mucho take it easy."
7- Am I really doing bullet points on my blog like I'm an expert?
I'm sorry if I'm being a little overzealous here.
Here's a lot of great information that I've found.
THEY are the experts.
More blog posts will follow on this topic as I continue to learn.
I literally have to throw everything I know about food out of the window.
I'm starting back at square one with how to
buy food,
cook food,
and eat food.
Please leave any suggestions as well because let's face it...
I need them!
I want this initiative to stick.
I want this initiative to stick.
Thanks so much for this post, Ashley! I have been looking for some kind of way to change up my eating habits. I would love to read more about and join you in your journey. Good luck to you!
ReplyDeleteVERY cool! good for you! I'm terrible at stuff like this. But the one thing that I can do well that seems to help me reduce overeating... drink drink drink water all day long. in fact, I still use my mug that I got from the hospital when I had Ruby. It helps me keep track of how much I'm drinking and makes me feel accomplished when i fill 'er up again and again :)
ReplyDeleteHenry and I have come to this same realization lately. We've been trying to eat more veggies and replacing meat with beans and lentils. It's really hard to break out of the baking and cooking whatever you want mold! I have never tried quinoa, but I think winco sells it in their bulk section and I've wanted to try some for a while. We are going to be coming up to rexburg in a few weeks (sept. 16) because Henry's sister is having her baby. Let me know if you guys are up for a visit! I think we'll drive up that Sunday and leave Tuesday. Hope to see ya soon! ; )
ReplyDeleteIt was in my twenties that this drastic change had to take place for my health. Not just a move to Gluten Free (which isn't for everyone) ,more so a move to the more natural and from scratch. With persistence you will learn methods that work for your family. Get yourself a good basic cookbook that focuses how to cook, and not just recipes. Betty Crocker is a good one.
ReplyDeleteA few months ago after I finished nursing Colton I knew I needed a change. SO I looked at a couple of different things and the thing that has helped me the most is eating clean. It has helped me drop the the lbs the fastest and I feel so much better than I ever have. I think you will love this new phase!!! Congrats :) and keep up the good work .
ReplyDeleteASHLEY THIS IS AWESOME. I WANT TO BE MORE LIKE YOU!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteGreat entry about food...I was just eating some CORNDOGS and CHIPS while reading eat, and now I feel even hungrier. But that's nothing that a couple of frozen pizzas can't fix. THANKS for the great entry!
ReplyDeleteK, so we have been trying to be better as well. We are taking baby steps and are cutting out all high fructose corn syrup, but IT'S IN EVERYTHING!!! It is hard, but I feel so much better about what I'm feeding my family, and it makes grocery shopping more simple. W need to share recipes! I've heard about the blood type diet, I should look more into it!
ReplyDeleteSo we just started trying to eat better too, and our first step is cutting out all high a fructose corn syrup. IT'S IN EVERYTHING THOUGH! It is hard to cut out so many things, but I feel better about what I'm eating and feeding my family. W need to swap some recipes! I've heard about the blood type diet but I think I'll check it out a little better now.
ReplyDeleteNo more double stuffed oreos? Bummer! I'd love to swap recipes Ashpants ;)
ReplyDelete