reediculuous
Yesterday, I thought since we had so many beans building up in our food storage, I would take on the task of making homemade chili. So, I take the beans early in the morning and follow the instructions, which state:
Rinse and sort beans in a large pot. Add six to eight cups of water and boil for two minutes (I boiled them for 5). Then cover and let beans soak for 1 hour (I let them soak for 9). Drain soak water and rinse beans.
Then to cook the beans, it said they would be cooked in boiling water for about 1 1/2.
Let me tell you... I put the beans in the boiling pot of chili at 4 o'clock (approximate time) and I didn't take them off the stove
until
MIDNIGHT!
Let me see, that's about EIGHT HOURS! not one and a half. Richard came home from school around 5:30 and he was starving... but too bad, these little babies are hard as rocks! In fact, the funniest part about it is... you know how the body has a little bit of a difficulty digesting beans, which is why there's a beautiful song about how musical they are. =) Well, if your body has trouble digesting soft cooked beans... imagine how much more difficult it is to digest hard uncooked beans, which I had about a dozen during the day trying to test if they were done. Lets just say, it was a long Nacho Libre night for me. "Do you not realise that I have had diarrhea since Easters?" ok it wasn't that bad. I thought my appendix had burst and I was dying. But it wouldn't have been the first time I went to the ER and it ended up just being gas. Luckily this time I spared myself the embarrassment and just fought it out at home.
ANYWAY... does anybody know a better way to cook raw beans? I'd love some suggestions. Or should I just buy them in a can?
Rinse and sort beans in a large pot. Add six to eight cups of water and boil for two minutes (I boiled them for 5). Then cover and let beans soak for 1 hour (I let them soak for 9). Drain soak water and rinse beans.
Then to cook the beans, it said they would be cooked in boiling water for about 1 1/2.
Let me tell you... I put the beans in the boiling pot of chili at 4 o'clock (approximate time) and I didn't take them off the stove
until
MIDNIGHT!
Let me see, that's about EIGHT HOURS! not one and a half. Richard came home from school around 5:30 and he was starving... but too bad, these little babies are hard as rocks! In fact, the funniest part about it is... you know how the body has a little bit of a difficulty digesting beans, which is why there's a beautiful song about how musical they are. =) Well, if your body has trouble digesting soft cooked beans... imagine how much more difficult it is to digest hard uncooked beans, which I had about a dozen during the day trying to test if they were done. Lets just say, it was a long Nacho Libre night for me. "Do you not realise that I have had diarrhea since Easters?" ok it wasn't that bad. I thought my appendix had burst and I was dying. But it wouldn't have been the first time I went to the ER and it ended up just being gas. Luckily this time I spared myself the embarrassment and just fought it out at home.
ANYWAY... does anybody know a better way to cook raw beans? I'd love some suggestions. Or should I just buy them in a can?
I have no suggestions.. but it reminded me of the ward party a few months ago where we were trying to guess who people where and your story was the ER one and how your dad ended up paying for your 'gas.' haha.. funny!
ReplyDeleteWe have a recipe using dry beans that cooks in the crockpot and it always turns out fine. But I have heard dry beans can be quite finicky, so most people use a pressure cooker. If you've got one, I'd try that. Otherwise, let me know and I'll send you the crockpot recipe and you can adapt it to whatever else you're doing. Sorry, for the rock hard beans and the consequential problems. I hope you're feeling better today!
ReplyDeleteCrazy!! Sometimes beans and rice left in food storage too long can petrify (it's happened to me a few times). But I usually use the pressure cooker or the crock pot idea.
ReplyDeleteumm, i don't know anything about cooking but i do think this story is hilarious! and your blog is always adorable!
ReplyDeleteGreat post. Did you put the beans in the chili still hard? I *think* that beans need to be totally soft before they are combined with a tomato product. Google that, I could be wrong. Meaning, boil them until they are soft, then combine with the other chili ingredients.
ReplyDeleteSweet Em is right. After you let the beans soak, you have to cook them in just water with a little salt for 1 1/2 hours (sometimes a bit longer) before adding them to whatever recipe you are using. There are a few legumes that can be put straight into the recipe, like lentils, but most it takes quite a while. But I have found well worth the wait, they really are so much better than the canned version. Make sure and rinse the beans well after the first soak, that will actually help with the Nacho Libre affect. I debated telling you that last part because I laughed so hard at your little story, I thought I might enjoy a sequel! :) Anyway, try again and I am sure it will turn out great! Did I give you the recipe for white chili--Boni Torrey's? Try that one sometime, very good! Thanks for the post though, too funny! Live and learn! I did the EXACT same thing before I got the bean thing figured out!
ReplyDeleteLOL!!! I take it that hard beans rank right up there with chicken curry for ya huh? Just think on the bright side, at least you had the luxury of staying home to wait it out instead of having to go knocking on complete strangers doors! My advice...buy the canned beans, they never fail!
ReplyDeletehehe This is a story i would expect from you =) You are so funny. I have never cooked beans. I have been worried it would take to long. If you ever figure it out let me know. Thanks for the card by the way =)
ReplyDeleteYes, you soak the beans for 8-10 hrs then you have to drain them and add more water and salt and cook for 1 hour to 1 1/2 hrs until soft. Then add all the other ingredients.
ReplyDeleteI keep cans of beans around for quick meals in case I don't have time for the soaking and boiling.
I love your blog. Your kiddos are so cute. I still can't believe you have 2 babies! They are precious!