First Day


We were playing a game quoting movies and guessing...
on Colette's turn she said, 
"Guess who I am 
'Hi, I'm Nemo!' 
Can you guess?"

We had a chain countdown for going to Grandma' House,
Colette was excited that there were only a few left. 
She said, "Look dad I will count them..."
Then she stared at them silently...
She looked back at us and said, 
"See? I don't even have to talk!"

Parker was measuring Colette and she looked at the tape measure and said, 
"Mom look! I'm almost thirty minutes!"

My favorite, favorite Colette moment was
I have a habit of calling her "Coletti Spaghetti."
One day I said, "Hey Coletti Spaghetti..."
And she answered back, "What Mama Mashed Potatoes!"
I laughed pretty hard at that one.






Parker has invented his own contraction, AMN'T
{as in AM NOT}
I will say, "It's time for bed."
And he will respond, "But I amn't tired!"
The funny thing is that he uses it so much so often, 
that it's beginning to sound like a normal word to me.

Parker and I were in the bathroom of a restaurant.
I kept hearing a slapping sound coming from his stall.
He finally said, "Mom do you hear that noise?"
I said, "Yes, what is it?"
"That's my leg. The big FLUFFY part."

He often describes the measurements of things,
like we will be in a room and he will say, 
"I think this room is about 5 units."



The kids are very excited to be in preschool together.
I joined up with a few girls in my neighborhood 
to swap turns teaching at our homes.
One girl was with us last year.

I know that Parker is 5 and technically could be in Kindergarten,
but there were a few factors into why we decided to wait.
He barely turned five in August.
We showed him the calendar 
and explained that some kids turned 5 a long time ago, 
and he would be the youngest.
Or he could wait a year and be one of the oldest.
So he said he would rather be the oldest.
Richard and I both were the youngest in our grades.
I always felt lame.
Also, we considered that since he was born 10 weeks premature,
if he was born on his due date in October,
we wouldn't have a choice, he would have to wait.
I may or may not have read Outliers recently too.
Some people would bring up the new age for missionaries,
and how if we wait, he won't get to serve his mission right at 18.
But if we put him in now, he would graduate when he is 17, 
and have to wait around until he turns 18.
I would rather he be 18 and leave for his mission right out of high school.
Plus, that's like 14 years away.
Many of the boys in his Primary class are in Kindergarten,
but some are also waiting until next year.
I think he will be just fine.
He didn't hesitate with our decision.
The thought of having preschool again with his sister
was very exciting to him.
Two years of preschool never hurt anybody.

I hope I don't sound like this is the only way to do things.
Some kids are ready for school earlier than others.
I just wanted to share my reasons 
so if you are also making this decision,
maybe our thought process will help you out.

Comments

  1. So my guess is Colette will have 2 years of preschool as well?? I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Travis will have 2 years of preschool as well. The more time to get ready for school!
    The whole "missionary age" thing seems silly to me. My boys aren't even near the cut offs (February and December) and they will both be 18 quite a bit before they graduate high school. So I don't see how that is any different then with Parker. Alan left for his mission 1 month after he graduated high school and said that was the best thing ever. There was really no sitting and waiting around, just moved from one thing to the next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hurray for preschool! I was one of the oldest in my class (I have an October birthday), and I really liked it. I'm amazed you can teach preschool a second year in a row. I did enjoy it last year, but I'm really excited for the girls to be gone 3 mornings a week this year, and I don't have to prepare any lessons!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all....I just love your kids! I want to cuddle them up! Oh how I miss you friend! Tell me a little more about this book you read. Aiden has a May birthday, so we have already started to consider the pros and cons for him with Kindergarten. I think ya'll made an awesome choice for Parker and I can't believe that Colette is already in preschool! I would love for you to send me your phone number via my blog as well as a some good times of day that I could chat with you. Oh how I miss you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Outliers!!! And I love you, always love reading your blog. And we are holding our sweet Caleb back a year too. Doing what you feel is best for your child is all anyone can do. Miss you friend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks friend!